Friday 30 October 2015

A Summer with You, Watercolour Thumbnail Sketch Seascape

One useful and wonderful exercise in watercolour art is doing five minute thumbnail sketch with one brush and maybe three colours and a small piece of paper .  In this exercise, I think I might have been cheating a bit.  I did not count the colours but picking them straight from my palette at the time.  I think it took a minute to think, a minute to draw ( I skipped this) and three minutes to paint.

The scale of this thumbnail sketch is 16cm x 11.5cm ( or roughly 6" x 4").  In this quick sketch I managed to capture atmospheric of a sunny day, glittering light on water, wet sand, wonderful sky with wind and clouds, Rangitoto islands, its reflection and a happy couple!  I think it does not matter how many paintings I have done.  An experience like this always brings a smile to my face.  A fleeting moment, moving sky, dashing light and the joy of wet feet... is captured effortless.  I can't explain.  I can't analyse.  It just happened. It is really a five minutes of magic! 

One useful and wonderful exercise in watercolour art is doing five minute thumbnail sketch with one brush and maybe three colours and a small piece of paper .  In this exercise, I think I might have been cheating a bit.  I did not count the colours but picking them straight from my palette at the time.  I think it took a minute to think, a minute to draw ( I skipped this) and three minutes to paint. The scale of this thumbnail sketch is 16cm x 11.5cm ( or roughly 6" x 4").  In this quick sketch I managed to capture atmospheric of a sunny day, glittering light on water, wet sand, wonderful sky with wind and clouds, Rangitoto islands, its reflection and a happy couple!  I think it does not matter how many paintings I have done.  An experience like this always brings a smile to my face.  A fleeting moment, moving sky, dashing light and the joy of wet feet... is captured effortless.  I can't explain.  I can't analyse.  It just happened. It is really a five minutes of magic!
Wonderful Summer Day, Mission Bay, Auckland, NZ

No comments:

Post a Comment