Wednesday 3 September 2014

LADYBIRD ON SPIDER PLANT (1), Watercolor Drawing and Painting Nature, Plants, Insects

I gently scooped a ladybird and put her on a spider plant and quietly observed her under a magnify glass.  Knowing where she was, I made a mental note on her position on the paper.  I did not want to dent the surface of untouched watercolor paper with pencil or eraser.  Fully aware that the brush mark would be permanent, I meditated for a minute then set go.  With a synthetic brush and diluted watercolor ivory black on a palette, I started with the lightest leaves first then went darker.  I pressed the dry brush down real hard to get the light effect on part of the leaves that bent toward the light.  Then I added the ladybird and the stem.  It was an enjoyable exercise.  I started another...before let her go back into the garden!    

Exciting brush work, watercolor on paper, 21x29.5cm
Exciting brush work, watercolor on paper, 21x29.5cm
If you have any queries relating to the painting, please leave me a message via the contact form gadget on the top right corner of the blog.  Thank you for your interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment